The SCATS Safety and Health Practitioner Certificate Program
A certificate of completion is awarded to participants based on their successful completion of the curriculum within a three year time-frame of their enrollment in the program. The curriculum is based on already existing and future classes that are offered on the SCATS training schedule.
The program is designed to specifically recognize those individuals who have made the long-term commitment to attend SCATS training classes and to improve their skills as safety and health professionals. In order to become a part of this special program, the successful participant must first submit an application and complete all 10 mandatory classes, 9 classes from the core class list, and 8 elective classes.
The 10 mandatory classes must be completed. If the participant chooses to complete all 14 core classes, credit will be given for 5 of the courses towards their electives. If there are courses not listed on the electives list, but it is a class instructed by SCATS (i.e., Tree Trimming Hazard Awareness or Ladder Safety Awareness), they will still receive credit for the course. Core courses can move down to the electives for credit, however electives CANNOT move up to the core list.
(Must take all 10 courses)
- Introduction to OSHA
- Reviewing Codes, Standards, & Regulations
- Written Workplace Safety Program
- Personal Protective Equipment Regulatory Review
- Fundamentals of Accident/Incident Investigation
- OSHA Injury and Illness Recordkeeping
- Workplace Violence Awareness
- Electrical Hazard Awareness
- Hazard Communication Awareness
- Self-Inspections – 12 Weeks to a Safer Workplace
(Select any 9 of the following classes)
- Bloodborne Pathogen Awareness
- Machine Safeguarding
- Respiratory Protection Awareness
- Ergonomics Hazard Awareness
- Workplace Emergencies and Evacuation
- Safety Data Sheets
- Asbestos Awareness
- Fall Protection Regulatory Review
- Scaffold Regulatory Review
- Excavation Regulatory Review
- Hearing Conservation Program
- Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout)
- Confined Space Awareness
- Four Hour Defensive Driving Course**
(Select any 8 Classes)
- Instructor Development Program
- Powered Industrial Trucks (Forklift Safety Awareness)
- Landscaping Hazard Awareness
- Supervisory Communications with Non-English Speaking Empl.
- Steel Erection Regulatory Review
- Concrete and Masonry Regulatory Review
- Workplace Evaluation & Management Tools
- Restaurant Safety Awareness
- Sanitation in the Workplace
- Office Safety: Hazard Recognition
- Janitor, Custodian, & Housekeeper Hazard Awareness
- OSHA 10 Hour General Industry Course*
- OSHA 10 Hour Construction Course*
- OSHA 30 Hour General Industry Course*
- OSHA 30 Hour Construction Course*
* Individuals holding current 500 and 501 instructor authorizations will also receive credit for Construction or General Industry 30 hours classes from their authorized industry.
** Only current National Safety Council Certificates for the DDC-4 course taken within the three year window are accepted for this course.
With the exception of the above notations, all coursework must be taken from the State of Nevada Safety Consultation and Training Section.
These classes are either OSHA standard based or provide skills to ensure attendees are more effective in meeting their safety and health responsibilities. As usual, all SCATS classes and services are provided at no cost to our clients and there are no application or registration fees for this program.
The board members of the Institute for Safety and Health Management have recognized our Safety and Health Practitioner Certificate Program. This is a path to professional certification for non-degreed individuals.
For more information on these designations, visit the Institute for Safety and Health Management website.
To obtain additional information pertaining to the SCATS Safety and Health Practitioner Certificate Program or other training opportunities, please contact one of our trainers at our Henderson, Reno or Elko offices.